WHAT IS PASSPORT: MUSIC EXPORT SUMMIT?
PASSPORT: Music Export Summit will deliver intensive training sessions to prepare export-ready Canadian artists and music entrepreneurs with business skills and artistic product development to increase international trade and export market development. The project is aimed at self-managed artists and artist managers (along with other music company entrepreneurs active in artist development) who are export-ready or engaged in the process of becoming export-ready.
To assist export-ready Canadian artists and music entrepreneurs develop export markets and increase international trade.
Preparing your business for global release of product in diversified export markets.
Parallel events in Winnipeg and Halifax will provide participants with information and skills development on the topics of export market development and global release. The Winnipeg Summit will also include a stream for Indigenous artists/companies.
A follow-up Masterclass event at Calgary’s National Music Centre will be offered to select participants from the initial session, and will incorporate follow-ups of indivdual export plans, streamed live performances, and the creation of media assets for use in international marketing.
Participants must be available to participate in one of the following events. In the case of self managed bands, one member of the group will attend the Summit.
- Music Export Summit West – Winnipeg – February 21-25, 2018
- Music Export Summit Indigenous – Winnipeg – February 21-25, 2018
- Music Export Summit East – Halifax – February 28 – March 4, 2018
Selected artists will be invited to participate in the Music Export Summit Masterclass. Full bands and artists represented by artist managers in the program will attend. The masterclass will include live performance, recording, and creation of media assets. Artist selection for the Masterclass event will be based on engagement and progress made in the Summit, confirmed upcoming export development activity (showcases, tours, etc.), and selection by international industry committee.
- Export Masterclass – National Music Centre, Calgary – April 8-12
More details on all PASSPORT events COMING SOON!
- Importance and value of export for the Canadian music industry
- The challenges and opportunities of the global release landscape
- Market intelligence and specifics for target markets (UK, EU, USA)
- Developing an export marketing plan
- Business administration skills
- Market intelligence and research strategies
- International marketing plan development
- Financial planning and access to funding
- Copyright and IP management
- Live performance development
- Style and brand consultations
- International business structures and team building
- Revenue streams, business projections
- International touring practices
- International label, distribution practices
- International publishing, licensing practices
- International media and PR practices
- Pitching strategies and showcase/conference preparation
- Customs, immigration, taxes, duties
- Creation of media assets
INTERNATIONAL MARKET CONSULTANTS:
Export market consultants from a variety of the target markets will present market intelligence and best practices for business in their market, including:
- United Kingdom (UK)
- Germany, Switzerland, Austria (GSA)
- Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg (Benelux)
- Central/Eastern Europe
- United States (USA)